Re: Is toroid a Faraday cage?

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Is toroid a Faraday cage?
>Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:58:12 -0600
>
>Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><davep-at-quik-dot-com>
>

> > Also if the inner wall of a Faraday cage has infinite
>
> > electrical "suction"
>

>	I would describe this differently.  Think of the
>	wall of the cage (for starters) as having some thickness.
>	(compared to an electron, it does...)
>
> > ie. it can never become charged no matter how much electricity
>
> > is supplied to it,
>

>	As more electrons (or holes, if some are handy) are
>	pumped 'in' they immediately (ok light speed limit
>	applies) repel each other, so the charge ends up on
>	the OUTside.
>

> > is the only difficulty in getting charge into the cage due to
>
> > the repulsion of the electric field on the outside?
>

>	A pretty question.  Has anyone measured increased
>	belt drag in a van de Graaf?
>	(I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just not sure...)
>   --
>	best
>	dwp
>
>...the net of a million lies...
>	Vernor Vinge
>There are Many Web Sites which Say Many Things.
>	-me

With my VDG generator, the belt does drag alot.  A trick I use to really get
it charged, is short out the globe with my hand, then the belt goes very
very fast, then it keeps some momentum and REALLY charges up, even when it
gets dragged down.  With my 14" salad bowl spheres, i managed some 24"
sparks.

Steve Ward.