Re: FETs and MOSFETs

Original poster: "Daniel McCauley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

FETs is short for MOSFETs.

In simple terms, a MOSFET is a voltage controlled current source as opposed
to a BIPOLAR transistor which is a current controlled current source.
MOSFETs can be used from everything from switches (relays), amplifiers, high
speed switches for power supply circuits etc....

MOSFETs are similar to vacuum triodes except . . .

With vacuum tubes you pay for current.
With MOSFETs you pay for voltage.

Dan