RE: FW: Re: Tesla Coil Efficiency Test

Hi John,

On 16 Jun 2002, at 22:16, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

> Antonio -
>
> I agree that this test loads the secondary and reduces the output voltage.
> However, don't we want to have a secondary load so the useful output is not
> zero?
> For the TC efficiency shouldn't this be the integrated and RMS
> output/input,  otherwise, the efficiency would be an instantaneous or peak
> type?
> With a high enough inductive coupling to the secondary the inductive
> coupling to the primary would be negligible?
>
> I also agree that your test method is a better one but have you or any other
> coiler been able to make this kind of test? What were the results? In My
> book I show how Breit, Tuve, Dahl found (1930) their coil to have about 25%
> efficiency using a similar method as yours. The output voltage was
> determined by a special calibrated spark device.
>
> It is interesting that after 100 years the Tesla coil is about the only
> electrical apparatus for which we do not have an accurate efficiency
> evaluation.

That is probably because the load varies so widely and under less
than ideal conditions (energy trades being allowed to persist), a lot
is lost in the gap. One-way transfer efficiences are relatively easy
to measure and can get well into the 80% range despite the gap. If
the energy resident in the secondary after the initial transfer is
dumped into a load before it can get back to the primary, the 80%
figure would closely apply. None of this takes any account of the
wallplug to primary cap losses.

Regards,
malcolm