Re: Broken NST

Tesla list wrote:

<DNAForInfinity-at-aol-dot-com>

> Hey,
> I have a 9/60 NST that I got that has one of the ceramic output terminals
> broken off. If anyone knows how to fix this, or if it is complicated, if
anyone
> wants to buy this, let me know.  I am just wondering how involved it would be
> to get this thing running.  Thanks,
> Dan

	I'm always late with my replies, so your question will have been
answered before you read this.  Bottom line is that not much is required
to make it usable, provided the HV lead to the side with the broken
insulator didn't get pulled out of the winding.  I picked up several
NST's in the ice plant beside an entrance to the Harbor freeway in Los
Angeles.  Looked as if they had slid off the back of a truck as it was
"rounding the bend" too fast for the load.  All had at least chipped
insulators, and a couple were broken.  However, in all cases there was
some of the original terminal bolt left.  The fix was just to secure the
bolt in the middle of the hole in the case and use them as is.  I
actually went to more trouble and machined up some standoff insulators,
but that wasn't really necessary.  Those big insulators are intended to
work in the rain, and even a half inch spacing is more than enough for
dry indoor use.  Use 'em and enjoy!

Ed