Re: Rob's flyback circuit

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steve Mach by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<gossamer-at-cox-dot-net>

> Rob, In televisions with this type of flyback circuit they use a pp cap from
> the collector to common to limit this "retrace"pulse amplitude which also
> affected the HV out.Early designs used regular 2 lead caps(which would go
> open over time,HV SOARED 60-90KV was not uncommon,turning your tv into x-ray
> generator!
> IF memory serves me values were .05-.15 uF/2-3 KVdc.
> Ceramic and polyester caps are no good,have to use polypropolene.
> Hope this helps,
> SM

Thanks Steve for the info.  Well fortunately, I just bought a whole
selection of 630V and 1600V polypropylene caps from Digikey.

I'm going to try some flyback sims before I destroy any more
transistors.  One thing I remembered in the last day is that I would
always take apart the flyback and remove the gap in the ferrite.
Otherwise the metal around it would heat up so much that you would burn
yourself if you touched it.  Now that is a powerful mag field.  Rob.
--
The Numeric Python EM Project

www.pythonemproject-dot-com