Re: Pig current? Thanks!

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 02:56 PM 23/06/02 -0600, you wrote:

>Original poster: "D.C. Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>

>It's best to start with a HV climbing arc set up on the pig to dial in your
>initial currents.  You can just use a few glass soda bottles as insulators.
>Use a few surplus coathangers cut up for the arc rods.  Set the arc base at
>1/4 inch spacing and the top at 5 inch spacing.  This will simulate a nice
>load to check out your reactor current ratings at different settings.
>
>Another great way to operate a pig is use a small reactance in series with
>the primary and then wind approx 30 turns of #16 AWG insulated wire around
>the center core section.  Hook this up to a 24 VDC power supply capable of
>delivering around 10 Amperes.  As you adjust the current from the power
>supply you will have a very effective way of continuously adjusting the pigs
>current output while it is operating.  Be sure the supply delivers DC and
>not AC currents.
>
>Be very very cautious with a pole xmfr.  One mistake with these units
>usually is fatal.  Have a flashing red light wired into the circuit
>somewhere so you always know when the HV is "on".  A smaller flasher button
>fits into the bottom of the lamp socket to make it flash.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Dr. Resonance

Hello Coilers & "Dr."

Thanks for the tip on the Jacob's ladder for trial settings and also on
the lashup for a saturable reactor.  The latter might be difficult with
my ballast choke as the winding windows are pretty much full, but I'll
be able to dial in various currents with changing the E -I shimming.

As to safety...it goes without saying that one needs to be VERY careful
around any high voltage device, but particularly so with one that can
deliver a high current with that high voltage!  I've been working with
electrical and electronic gear for over 40 years and I'm still here due
to having a healthy respect for things that can do me in!!

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca