RE: RE: Variable phase adj. cap size, braking action

Original poster: "brianb by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brianb-at-antelecom-dot-net>

Greg,

My experience with 1/3, 1/2 and 3/4hp motors showed there is always some
breaking but it's usually not a problem till you get too big (then it stops
in a fraction of a second). Here is an old E-mail I sent to John F. when I
was working on some 1/2hp motors...

>  Today's setup used a W10 Variac, various combinations of motor run caps,
and
> 12" rotor with eight 1/4" electrodes. Neither of my motors uses a run cap.
>
>  With the 1800rpm 1/2hp motor 180ufd was the optimal value. This provided
> full 45-degrees of adjustment, 2-volt change over the Variac's range,
smooth
> operation, and very little braking after the power was removed. A smaller
> capacitance (135ufd) caused the voltage to plummet and the motor to loose
> sync as the inductor (Variac) was adjusted. A larger capacitor (203ufd)
> worked but the resonant rise was over 10-volts, the motor did not run
> smoothly, and there was two times during the spin down when there was a
> pronounced braking. Higher capacitance caused resonant rise in the 25+
volt
> range, surging, and NASTY braking issues when the power was removed.
>
>  With the 3600rpm 1/2hp motor 270ufd was the closest to optimal I could
> obtain with the caps I had on hand. This configuration provided a full 90-
> degrees of adjustment, 2-volt change over the Variac's range, and smooth
> operation. However there was some braking during spin down and it looses
sync
> if the Variac turned past 75%. This leads me to believe I'm close to the
> correct capacitance but not quite there yet. A smaller capacitance
(202ufd)
> caused the voltage to plummet and the motor to loose sync as the inductor
was
> adjusted. A larger capacitor (338ufd) produced a resonant rise well over
15-
> volts and there was a point during the spin down when there was a
pronounced
> braking.

Regards,
Brian B.