GO GO tiny coil

Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hello all
I’m working with a mix of coil guts and parts from a few coils I’ve made.
Hear are the specs:
Sec coil: 3.5” by 27”   24 awg  on gray thin wall PVC
Primary Coil:
Flat, 16 turns ¼ copper tube. Windings are spaced ¼” with an adjustable
outer winding tap. About the size of a pizza.
Spark gap:
“SRSG” or Synchronous Rotary Spark Gap. It discharges the Capacitor at
120BPS or Brakes Per-Second. It consists of a small 1/25 hp 1800rpm motor
that spins a Plexiglas disk with 4 electrodes.
Capacitor:
16kv -at- 0.0692uf  “MMC” or Multi Minnie Capacitor. This is an array of 36
Cornell Dubilier capacitors. Each cap is rated for 2000V -at- .15uF there are 4
springs with 9 capacitors each.
Power transformers:
2, 12kv/60ma NST’s or Neon Sign Transformers banked for 120ma with PFC or
Power Factor Correction capacitor to smooth out the current draw. On the HV
side of the transformers is a serge filter good to 240ma 15kv to protect the
transformers from over voltage.
Control cabinet:
Two arming switches for mane coil power feed. A “dead-man” switch controls
power out to the coil through a 15 amp variac (performs like a dimmer
switch). The coil is fused to 15 amp with a 15amp fast blow fuse.

The pri and sec coil are from my much smaller coil and the NST’s cap and gap
are from my big coil.  the neat thing is that with a really big top load I
can get 4’ sparks.
	Recently I added 4 more electrodes to the SRSG and tried it at 240 bps.
Not so hot results. Then I reduced the MMC buy half and with added top load.
It now puts our some very very nice 4.5’-5’ sparks and it sound nice to at
240 bps.   The tiny sec coil with such a huge top is making me thing of a
great Bob Dylan song “brand new leopard skin pillbox hat”.
With the performance doing so well with just this tiny sec coil I’m looking
forward to the new 4” pvc sec coil.

And SRSG is the only way to go!  (haven’t tried the triggered gap yet)

Happy 4rth everyone!

Read you later
Josh