From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 11:40 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: New secondary, John Freau efficiency theory

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

All,

As afore mentioned, my old 12" secondary just destroyed itself. I now
think that this may have been partly caused by very poor tuning as the
coil has survived several other runs with no breakdown, all other things
being equal except tuning (I retune every time I use the coil). Anyway,
I need to make a new ~12" (315mm) secondary. I have been reading John's
efficiency theory, particularly regarding secondary construction. While
it goes against everything I have been led to believe over the last
seven years, the ideas do seem feasible, and seing as though my last
secondary just died, it has given me motivation to try something
different. My old secondary was 315mm wide, with a 950mm long winding of
0.95mm wire for 1000 close wound turns. For the new secondary I propose:

Diameter: 315mm
Winding length: 1400mmm (4.4:1 aspect ratio)
Wire diameter: 1mm (1400 turns)

I thought I would run this by the list to see what you all think. I am
open to suggestions. I would particularly like John's input on this matter.

Cheers,

Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Queensland, Australia