Bicycle Wheel revisited

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

Having experimented with smaller toroids, a smaller bicycle wheel and no
topload at all (over a range of primary tappings and capacitor sizes) I have
found that in all instances when these were used the maximum spark length was
less than the 6" from the rim of the large 25" bicycle wheel.

Does this not suggest that the value of capacitance afforded by the 25" wheel
(rim depth 1") together with the Medhurst capacitance is near the optimal value
required to match the secondary and primary resonant frequencies?

That said the 25" wheel on a mini-coil is enormous and it would be
adavantageous to reduce the size to save space, although the capacitance must
stay the same. Now the wheel is a disc with finite surface area -could I not
"wrap up" some of this massive surface area into a toroid with cross-sectional
area of say 7" or so?