RE: PVC secondaries

Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>

Greg (et. al.),

If you are going to use PVC, you should coat it inside and out with a
suitable high voltage insulator. On my hobby coils, I've used generic
601 "Red Insulator" (Dolph's or Spray-On brand). Others have used Gyptal
(an industry standard for 30 years or more). I may have misspelled it.

During destructive testing, it's the PVC that usually goes first (arcs
track under the windings or inside the coil form). So coating is a must
for reasons already pointed out by others.

kVA Effects uses a custom, two-part electrical resin from 3M. Max
Overkill for under 20kVA.

Jeff Parisse
www.teslacoil-dot-com

Some coil plans I have say that when using PVC as a coil form, it should
be coated with polyurethane (or similar) BEFORE winding the wire on to
reduce losses. Is this really necessary? I would have thought it just
adds more loss by making the form wall thicker.

Greg Peters