RE: Variable Capacitance and Inductance

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Tuned circuits do drift because temperature changes affect the physical
dimensions and dielectric properties of the L's and C's. This is widely
known and not due to any mysterious new laws of physics.  But properly
constructed components can minimize these variations.  Placing components
in a temperature-controlled oven makes them immune to external temperature
variations, and altitude, time, latitude, etc. are no more relevant than
football scores.

Yes, modern radios employ crystal-controlled PLL circuits in their front
ends, but there are L's and C's elsewhere that would create problems if
their values shifted.  Imagine the dismay the Apollo crew would have felt
if they had to retune their transmitter tank circuits every 100 feet
between here and the moon.

Gary Lau

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Gary,

Radios are tuned to crystals precisely because inductor/capacitor only
circuits do drift.

Dave