Re: Possibly not Re: Isolation Transformer Question

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Your right, this is a strange beast. At 38.2v in I get
110 out, at 45.9 in, I get 115 out, at 77.4 in I get
120 out, and at 120 in I get 123.4 out. Of course this
is without any load. It's magic. Without more probing,
I believe it looks something like:

IN            OUT

hot         not used )
______    ___________)
      )  (           )
      )  (______hot  )
neut. )  (           )
______)  (_____||____)
               ||    )
_____________________)
gnd.  |         neutral & ground
     ---
      -

Adam

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>
>

> > While dumpster diving and checking vacant lots for
> > good garbage, I found a working Best Power
> Technology
> > Citadel Line Conditioner. I was hoping it was a
> UPS
> > but it wasn't. It appears to be an isolation
> > transformer of some sort with a 12 uF pfc
> capacitor.
>

> 	Almost certainly something else:
> 	A Ferroresonant Line Voltage Stabilizer.
> 	May or may not isolate input from output.
> 	(ohmmeter check to be sure.)
> 	If so, the cap is not PFC (tho might be recycled as
> 	such). but resonates one of the windings, and
> 	ends up stabilizing the output voltage (tho the
> 	wave form ends up NOT sinusoidal....)
> 	Intended to soak up slow sags and (slow) surges,
>
> > The core is about the size of a big NST and has
> three
> > sets of windings. It's only rated at 630 VA, but
> could
> > probably be driven harder for short runs.
>

> 	These tend to react in nonobvious ways to
> 	overloading.
>
> 	(I have read descriptions of how they work
> 	in detail, many times & Can NOT get my mind
> 	around them well enough to try to explain.
>
>  	(do you hear frustration?   8)>>)
>
> 	)
>

> > My question is whether this would be of any value
> in
> > isolating any nasties coming from an NST. If so,
> do I
> > hook it up in reverse or normal? If not, at least
> > got a good cap.
>

> 	I'd use it direct.  I think it will NOT overload,
> 	as it will current limit.  (They are neat gadgets,
> 	stabilizing against voltage variation without
> 	moving parts...  The cap resonates with the
> 	'tertiary' winding, i think at 60Hz.  SOMEhow
> 	the thing recovers (stored energy from the tank?)
> 	on sags, soaks it up on surges.  Drives the
> 	core in and out of saturation, IIR.
>
> 	Isolation (as isolation transformer) may or may not
> 	be there, probably is.  Isolation transformer, as
> such,
> 	may or may not isolate against HF strays: these
> tend to
> 	couple via interwinding stray capacitiance.  Need
> an
> 	interwinding shield to block, usually with added
> 	filters.  (this gadget may or may not have
> such....)
>
> 	best
> 	dwp

=====