Re: disintegration- iron/ steel cores

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Xyme3-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 5/22/2002 12:52:34 PM, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> << What is 'acoustice wave resonance'?
>     How is it used to manipulate charged particles?
>     In general the lifetime of charged particles, outside
>     a vacuum is measured in fractions (small) of a second. >>

> Acoustic wave resonance referrs to the use of acoustics, transducers, to
> create a sound wave. These waves exert force and act similar to a solid
> object. Recently experiments have been done to move water and other small
> particles with the waves. Produceing resonant waves inside hollow tubes for
> example would keep particles from hitting the sides of the tube. (The water
> particles were transported down tubes)

	Indeed.  I can't see how this can be used on charged
	particles, in a vacuum.  Charged particles outside a vacuum
	are very short lived.

>>Tesla built some with iron and steel cores.<

> I was not previously aware of this,

	cf his book:
	Experiments with Alternate Currents of High Potential
	and Frequency (or close to that...)
	Available in reprint.

> are there advantages to an iron or steel core?

	Better magnetic efficiency, at the penalty, as noted, of
	losses to eddy currents.  I believe Tesla used them
	early on, moved away from them later.  On Balance, not
	clear there are overall benefits.

> Are the cores seprate or connected, in other words, is there a

> core for the primary and a separate one for the secondary?

	My recollection is that both were tried.
	Much experimenting was done.  (and more, since then:
	most find air core to be best.)  Tesla did not have
	access to modern materials (notably ferrites).  As
	others have pointed out, results with these are mixed,
	at best.

> One of his later coils looked like it may have had a steel

> shaft for the primary and perhaps a non conductive upper part.

> I am going by old photos, so this may not be entirely
> accurate.

	It might be helpful to know exactly which picture
	(in a particular book?)?
	Caution with the pictures (any pictures) is usually
	wise.

	best
	dwp