RE: Variable Capacitance and Inductance

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Ed,

>> When considering a static capacitor, one with no frequency applied to the
>> charge, the closer the charged body is to the earth, the higher the
>> capacity.  This is obvious.  The further the charged body is from the
earth,
>> the lower the capacitance will be.  However, Tesla was measuring a
dynamic
>> charged body.  The amount of charge a body will hold depends on the
>> dielectric between the charged bodies.  The further the ball was raised,
the
>> more dielectric between the sphere and earth and hence the greater the
>> capacity.

>	Not true.  The dielectric constant of the material surrounding the
conductor affects the capacitance for a given geometry.  The volume of
dielectric doesn't enter in per se.

Who said anything about the volume?  If you look at my other statements
about dielectrics in this thread, you will see I'm talking about adding to
the dielectric _strength_.  I never said volume.  I know that the effect of
any dielectric is as that of a plane with no thickness of length.

I've been studying the dimensions of capacitance (and other units) in great
detail this year.  Please don't put words into my mouth.  I have enough
challenge keeping up with my own errors than to have to address yours to.

Dave