Re: Wet Coils

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/26/02 12:46:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Mind you, this is with a wet towel.  Not only is the humidity 100%, but
> there is a substantial mass of water in close proximity to the windings.
> Tomorrow I'll get a bucket and actually submerge the coil and see what
> results I get.

Would it then be a water-core inductor rather than an air core? Since the
permittivity of water is both temperature and frequency dependent, one may
expect to see significant changes in a water-core coil's behavior, if not in
its intrinsic inductance. The behavior of a coil operated outdoors could be
measurably affected by moisture condensing on the inner or outer surfaces of
the coil.
Just some 1 AM speculations,
Matt D.