Protecting Garage Door Opener

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Zimtesla-at-aol-dot-com>

Like many Tesla coilers, I run my coils in a garage. Early in the game I had
the misfortune of having the receiving board in the opener go dead after
running my coil (at that time I was using a 12kv x 60mA NST). One contributor I
think in retrospect was that I had wrapped some aluminum foil around the power
unit to act as a shield. Didn't ground it, so probably picked up RF rather than
shielding it.

Now I only run a small coil (30mA) with the receiver card still in the opener
(opener unplugged of course). No problems. I haven't tried the bigger coil
(180mA) with the board installed since it costs $80 to replace and my wife
isn't too keen on using a push button on the wall to run the opener while I get
the card replaced.

So I wonder, what experience is out there on protection of door openers? BTW it
is a Stanley opener, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.
Jim