Re: MOT testing

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Rick,

A MOT can deliver multiple amperes of short circuit current. MOT's come
with varying degrees of current limiting, but unlike a NST, most
consumer-grade MOT's are simply NOT built to withstand being directly
short circuited for more than a few seconds without burning up. MOT
current limiting for consumer-grade ovens is designed to limit the fault
current during abnormal transient arcing conditions in the magnetron or
waveguide. This prevents damage to the (expensive) magnetron while
causing the oven's mains fuse to blow, killing the arc. In fact, many
discarded microwave ovens have simply blown a fuse during a transient
arcing event. And, a waveguide arc often "clears" the offending debris
that initiated it - many times simply dust and condensed popcorn oil(!)
- replacing the fuse brings the unit back to life.

Your MOT is best treated like a plate transformer or utility
distribution transformer ("pig"). You wouldn't think about directly
measuring the short circuit current from a utility transformer, and you
really shouldn't try to directly measure it for your MOT either.
Shorting a pig will take down your mains power (or possibly your feeder
fuse). Shorting the MOT may fry it before your mains breaker has a
chance to opens. The "useable" short circuit current you can expect from
a MOT will be limited by the EXTERNAL ballast you put in series with it,
or by  capacitive reactance if you use the MOT pulse doubling circuit
originated by Marco Denicolai for a twin MOT supply. See Greg Hunter's
web site for more details on the latter:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/main.htm

Be very careful with that MOT - it can fry you just as easily as a
distribution transformer.

Best regards,

-- Bert --

--