Re: Does a "regulating" coil really waste energy?

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I'm no EE, but I think an air core coil wound with a
few turns of copper tubing or thick, solid copper wire
would have negligible losses. I'm assuming this
hypothetical tuning coil is arranged so that its axis
is at right angles to the axis of the primary and
secondary. If the primary is tapped at its best turn,
the tuning coil could be tweaked by slightly
stretching or compressing the turns, like a stiff
slinky, thus avoiding the need for a second moveable
tap. I constructed both of my most recent Tesla coils
so that I can clip to any spot on any primary turn, so
an outboard tuning coil would be redundant. Given two
possible approaches to the same problem (like tuning),
I prefer the simpler path.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg