Re: New Toroid

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 05:31 PM 28/05/02 -0600, you wrote:

>Original poster: "Shaun R. Phelps by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <shaun-at-visorloop-dot-com>

>Hi.
>
>I've just completed construction of a new toroid for my coil and am having
>some problems.  Maybe someone can shed a bit of light.

SNIP

>Previously I used two 12" salad bowls as the toroid and achieved 12" sparks.
>When I replace that toroid with the new one, I achieve no sparks.  If I use
>a breakpoint on the new toroid, I seem to get 4" sparks from that.
>Thanks for any advice.
>
>Shaun.

Hello Shaun,

Have you retuned since changing your topload?  There's likely been a
rather substantial change in capacity with your new toroid, with the
change being an increase.  That will lower the secondary's resonant
frequency meaning you'll need more inductance in the primary so that
it's in tune.  Try moving your primary tap out a half turn or so and
see if that brings an increase in spark length.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL
G-1#1214

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca