Re: Shorting caps

As a general rule, a safety bleeder should be chosen to get the voltage
below 50V in some reasonable time (say, 30 seconds)...

If the cap is charged to 20kV, to get down to 50V is a reduction by a
factor of 400.  That's roughly 6 RC time constants.  Using 30 seconds,
you'd want one RC time constant to be 5 seconds.  If your cap is, say, 0.01
uF (1E-8 Farad), you'd want your bleeder to be around 5/1E-8 or 50 Megohms...

1 RC constant 1:2.7
2 RC constants 1:7.4
3 RC constants 1:20
4 RC constants 1:55
5 RC constants 1:148
6 RC constants 1:403

<Dan_Gallagher%PULSARNOTES-at-pulsartech-dot-com>