Re: PFC capacitor rating

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

Below is a pic to go along with the PFC talk everybody has.

Below is a link to a pic pretty much showing the power factor of my air
conditioner with the compressor running. The solid line is the line voltage
and the fat noisy line is the line current. As you can see, the phase
between the two does not match. You can see that the current lags the
voltage. Any mismatch is just power flowing back and forth across your
wiring that is doing no real good work except heating your wires.

http://users.symmetric-dot-net/kkanno/images/Krodak-airconditioner-power-factor.
jpg

As the the AC voltage reverses you an slearly see that the AC unit is
dumping current back into my outlet  again, a wasted flow of electricity.
Capacitors are the opposite of inductors (AC motors) and they fight each
other resulting in circulating currents between themselves, and not your
outlet

I'll see if I can dig find the same pictures after I attach some caps to the
AC plug that makes the waveforms match up better. In this case, I was able
to drop the current the AC unit pulled by just about 2amps with PFC
capacitors installed. They will pull extra current themselves when there is
no inductance to cancel them out (compresssor off).

KEN