Re: [TSSP] Ion Cloud Loading

Cross posting a bit...

I suddenly found as I walked out the door for work this morning that the whole
town was socked in with snow.  Weee!!  Snow Day!! :-))))

I think the output impedances of the TCT and Bertan really killed the Q of the
other test so I set it up differently.

I set up the secondary driven from the HP33120a (Zout = 50 ohms, I could have
used a low-z amp but I forgot) with the Tek3012 monitoring the signal with the
antenna as is normally done.  I set a second coil and terminal next to the
first and charged them up with the Bertan:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/IonCloudTest/NextTest.jpg

The center and -3dB frequencies are:
263.84kHz
262.00kHz
260.30kHz

Thus the Q is 74.86.  I set the signal to 9.00 volts (I must have moved because
it was 9.04 when I started the test) giving a resolution of 1 part in 900.  I
could detect the Fo frequency change 140Hz in this way or 1 part in 1870.  So
charging the right sphere up from 0 to 45 kVDC gave the following shift in the
received RMS signal.

kVDC            Voltage
0               9.04
5               9.04
10              9.04
15              9.04
20              9.04
25              9.04
30              9.04
35              9.04
40              9.04
45              9.04  (corona)

So having the coil close to a charged object seems to have no effect on the Fo
frequency.  If there is some tiny effect down there in the noise, it would not
be detectable in normal situations unless something goes wildly non-linear at
really high voltages.

-------------

Just a little follow up.  I hooked up the lowZ amp which raised the Q to
79.66 and set the frequency offset a bit were a small change in Fo made a
big change in voltage.  I could detect a shift in Fo of only 5Hz this way!
I reran the test (I could not move without affecting the test) and still
saw zero shift in the Fo frequency caused by the voltage on the left (not
right as I said in the last post) sphere.  Of course, I could hook up the 7
digit HP meter in place of the scope but the background noise is now the
factor rather than being able to measure close enough...  I would need a
copper shielded room to go further, but I think Malcolm's question has been
answered ;-))

-------------

One could always false streamer load a cold coil.  Just bend a piece of
wire in the shape of a streamer and hook it to the top terminal to see how
much the "wire streamer" changes the tuning.  The wire should have very
comparable added capacitance effects to those of a real streamer.  This may
be a way of predicting streamer loading for coil testing or tuning if one
were really that concerned.  One may be able to add say 220000 ohms of
resistance to ground to simulate the drop in Q of the coil too (maybe add
the resistance at the coil's base).  Perhaps a  simulated streamer load
bent out of piano wire would be a useful test tool to have around...

Cheers,

        Terry