Re: HV voltage divider

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> Exactly how you'd do it....
>Is the meter impedance really 10 Meg, or is it 11Meg?...

	Concur.
	with one minor comment:
	Suggest checking the power rating of the high meg resistor.
	(yes.  The resistance is high, so the currents low, BUT THE
	Voltages high.  Also look at the sparkover possibilities
	'along' the multiplier R.  (One such probe i ahd worked the
	resistor in liquid freon...)  If the high r resistor fails,
	or sparks over, the voltmeter is toast....

> You can always calibrate it with a known source...

> Tesla list wrote:

> > Original poster: "Richard Williams by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <richardwwilliams-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> > I have a 990meg ohm resistor salvaged from a HV DC probe whose
>>meter was shot.  Can I add a resistor in series, 10 meg ohm?, to
>>ground to measure HV? Haven't tried it since I'm leary of inflicting
>>damage to my digital meter since I've never done this before. Input
>>impedence of the meter at the 700vac range is 10meg so would that
>>"look" like a 5 meg resistor overall?

	best
	dwp