Re: DC POWER

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Chris & other DC coilers,

Here is the way to use a SPDT RSG that does work rather well!  I will switch to
Courrier New and try some ASCII art to illustrate it.  The idea is not mine (is
Deano's), but I tried it and it works very well.

                                                      spdt RSG
+ ----------------------O         O--------
                         \                |
                          \               |
                           \              |
                            O             |
DC                          |             |
Supply                      |             |
                tank cap   ===            |
                            |             |
                primary     -at-             |
                            -at-             |
                            -at-             |
                            |             |
- -----------------------------------------

By charging the tank cap with the primary in series, you get a "bang" for each
position of the switch, and the inductance of the primary greatly reduces the
stress of the tank cap being charged.  So you get double the BPS and fairly
efficient operation.  No power wasting series resistor is required.  The DC
supply does require a filter cap of at least 20 times the capacitance of the
tank cap.

Even better is the H-Bridge configuration, which is a dpdt RSG.  It alternately
reverses the polarity across the series connected tank cap and primary,
effectively doubling the voltage across the tank cap, making much more
energetic "bangs".  The RSG is much more complicated and will have more losses,
of course.  I will be soon be reporting my results of such an arrangement.
Larry Robertson reported great results with this configuration a few years
ago.  Either the H-Bridge or the above arrangement can have any BPS you want,
and the power supply requires no ballasting.

--Steve Young