Newbie says hello

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

Hi all,
My name is Jim Layton and I am an aspiring coiler. I currently (no pun
intended) am a member of the Tesla2 mailing list as well, but wished to
join this list to gain more exposure to the coiling community.
I would like to pose two questions at this time.

1) I have just purchased my toroid components and was wondering if there
would be any benefit to wrapping the entire
diameter of flex tubing in aluminum tape as opposed to just the seam.
Would this smoother surface area be beneficial compared to the
corrugated surface of the tubing? I have seen it both ways on different
sites.

2) I purchased an open frame Variac and am wide open to suggestions as
to a mount of some sort. There really is no faceplate like I have seen
on some, only a series of set screw holes around the O.D.
None of the dimensions are standard fractional sizes, so no commonly
found items will work well without additional machining. I thought
perhaps a few of you have dealt with this and come up with a clever idea
or two you would share.

I also have a "slipshod" Webpage I have put up with pictures of my
components and progress to date. In the A.M. I will update with new
toroid and Variac pictures. I also hope to find time to make it into
several pages to aid in navigation as it is one big long page now.
Please feel free to visit it and drop me a E-Mail with any comments or
your own links you may like added. The site address is...
http://www.jlproduction-dot-com/Tesla.html

Stay "tuned",
Jim

---