Re: TC Secondary Currents - was ( Experimental Help - Terry?)

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Can you give an experimental reference to this mysterious magnetic field
around
> this "displacement current"?  Can we measure it magnetically?  Could a small
> flat plate capacitor placed in the center of a Pearson current transformer
> measure this current?  It can sure measure the current in the leads up to the
> capacitor.

The electric field between the plates of the capacitor is changing while
it is being charged, and a changing electric field produces a changing
magnetic field.
I didn't try this, but I imagine that if you make a small coil probe,
connected to an oscilloscope (or simply an AC meter), and place it
between the plates (axis parallel to the plates) of a capacitor that
is being charged of discharged (or simply with an AC voltage applied
on it) you will see the magnetic field caused by the displacement
current. A current transformer would serve too (magnetic loop parallel
to the plates).
A problem is that it can be difficult to separate the magnetic field
generated by the displacement current  from the field generated by the
wires going to the capacitor plates and by currents in the plates
themselves. But you can short-circuit the capacitor, while keeping
the same current through it (connecting an AC current source to the
capacitor) and see if something changes.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz