Re: Suitable transformer for tesla work

Original poster: "Darren Freeman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <free0076-at-flinders.edu.au>

At 06:21 AM 04/03/2002, you wrote:
>Original poster: "R. Bergmann by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><bergmann_-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>"NEW UNUSED PULSE TRANSFORMER 0.25-2.25 MICRO SECONDS AT 21KVDC MADE BY
>KEYTRONICS INC AND IS NSN 5950-00-645-5022 AND P/N 49956-365-116763 PUSLE
>CURRENT IS 24 AMPS APPARENTLY USED IN SOME KIND OF RADAR"
>

>I am wondering, is this trasformer suitable for a large tesla coil?  Do

I don't think it's been reported but you could try. The frequency of the
tesla coil is a bit low for that tranny to work at rated voltage, it might
saturate.

But hey, try a 1 MHz setup?

It would be interesting for other stuff though, I would be keen to play
with one myself.

>pulse trasformers work well with tesla coils?  I have little experience with
>coils, and need advice.  Thanks everyone.

A big dunno. If it was for radar then it's one fine tranny. I reckon that
you could come up with an idea for a coil powered by pulses but you would
really want the caps intended for the low voltage side too as the kinds of
pulses that were sent through it would be pretty powerful and short.

Well, I would love one for my own uses but I wouldn't be too hopeful that
it would work with a coil. At least, not as a replacement for a pole-pig,
NST or MOT. It would be a very different circuit and I doubt that it's been
tried.

Hope this helps,
Darren Freeman