Re: TC Secondary Currents - was ( Experimental Help - Terry?)

Original poster: "Wall Richard Wayne by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

Terry wrote:

There is a problem with this experiment :-(

More hedges?

Pearson CTs are electrostatically shielded.  This shield will provide an
alternate path for the current so the measured current will be far less
that we want.  Look at a Hughes Aircraft version that does not have the
green epoxy all over it:

Great, that it's electrostatically shielded --  that's a good thing in this
case.
It cannot provide a shorted loop for and alternate current  because
it's not a complete circular loop.  Want to remove any other signals not
related to "Displacement Current".  Including ES.

The current is going to capacitively couple to the aluminum (brass in
Pearson) body and be guided along the outside of the CT instead of through
the center where the measurement takes place.

No No  No  Current NEVER capacitively couples.  It ONLY magnetically
couples.  E capacitively couples in dielectrics.  Very important concepts and
why Pearson CTs are built that way.

We could concentrate the electrostatic fields within the hole with a
capacitor but perhaps this is cheating :-))

No it's not cheating.  The inner diameter of my Pearson is 2".  I often put
a short piece of PVC pipe in it before I run a HV wire through it to guard
against any possible arc to the CT.  PVC does not affect the magnetic field,
but shields the E field.  You can wrap several circular layers of PE and
put them in the CT center.  Definitely stops E field.  Then put your flat
plate capacitor inside.  Really you have no worry about stray capacitive or
magnetic fields with the Pearson CT though.

I bet I could turn the cap 90 degrees (a smaller cap) and still read the
same current:

I'll take your bet!

This would tend to directly contradict things but Maxwell's equation for
Ampere's law has that neat surface integral in it to cover their hind ends
in such events...

Yeah, apparently Maxwell is famous for adding other fixes besides
this neat surface integral to cover his hind end .  %^)

RWW

-- Richard Wayne Wall
--- <mailto:rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com