Re: Poynting Vector Vortex Experiment

Hi Richard,

>At 03:20 PM 3/8/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>3/7/02
>
>Hello list,
>
>Quite a week!  Eh!
>
>First I would like to thank our moderator, Terry, for the evenhandedness and
>moderating skill he shows to all list participants.  We all appreciate him
>and even if some don't post on the list perhaps each will occasionally send
>him a private appreciation post.

My hate mail has been down lately, so I guess I am loved more :o))

>You may access Rick's
>experiment regarding the Lorentz force (Poynting vector force) from the link
>below.  The important thing is to realize the relationships of S = B x E are
>universally there all the time.  You may be put off by the follow up plant
>experiment.

The plant "experiment" is very poor...  I would rewrite the first page part
and eliminate the plant thing.  I detracts from the first experiment greatly.

>I am not as I am interested in SEB effects on biologic
>organisms.  I plan to confirm his dimensional if they are correct.  If you
>don't have a stack of magnets, insulate the outside of the metal can and
>wind a bunch of Cu wire around the can.  I did.  The experiment is simple
>and only DC current is used.  I know I will get a thousand explanations
>about how "this is only EM".  But, think about it and about the three right
>angled forces and it becomes immediately apparent this is a three
>dimensional process.  The most important thing is this is a real hands on
>experiment with important Tesla coil implications.
>
>http://www.tricountyi-dot-net/~randerse/lfg.htm .

Perhaps the forces at work in this experiment are similar to the forces
that create Dr. Johnson's and Ross's "helical sparks" as shown here:

=========

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/GaryJohnson/p213a.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/GaryJohnson/p213b.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/GaryJohnson/p213c.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/GaryJohnson/p213d.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/GaryJohnson/p213f.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/ross/projects/tube_coil/helix_arc.jpg

I have been working on this.  Nothing solid to report yet but I may have a
few ideas.

Dr. Johnson's 25kW solid state coil pulsed at 10mS produces them.  They are
about 30 inches long.

www.eece.ksu.edu/~gjohnson

=====
2/14/2002
"Gary Johnson" <gjohnson-at-ksu.edu> (by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>)
helical sparks

I was trying out a new digital camera yesterday, taking photos of sparks
from my solid state coil. Several of the photos are at my web site:
www.eece.ksu.edu/~gjohnson as the jpeg files.  The sparks are about 30
inches long, leaving a small bump on a 30 inch diameter sphere. The peak
power is about 25 kW when the spark begins.  Power is applied for 10 ms per
spark.

The main spark channel has a central shaft perhaps 5 to 10 mm in diameter.
In addition, there is a helix extending out another 10 to 20 mm.  It looks a
little like a drill bit or perhaps more like a grain auger. It does not form
until the spark is several inches away from the spark emitting point, and
will be smeared when the spark hits a dog leg.

Is this a well known phenomenon of sparks, described in some classic paper
of many years ago?  I don't recall stumbling across it.  It could be an
instability that occurs in hot fusion. I suspect a quantitative explanation
would be challenging. In the meantime, I find the sparks to be pretty.

Gary Johnson
=========

This post got lost in the large number of post last month....  I have been
studying how this corkscrew shape could be formed.  So far I think
conventional field theory explains it but perhaps you pointer vector thing
explains it too.

Cheers,

	Terry