Re: Experiment - Displacement Current's Magnetic Fields

Original poster: "Mark Fergerson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mfergerson1-at-cox-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

  Hi Paul, Terry, all:

  I can follow about half of the below, and I have a comment (the
usefulness of which depends on whether I really understood the
bits I think I did). ;>).

  This reminds me of the flaps that continue over Homopolar
machines; when somebody gets excited about them, it's usually
because they forgot about the part of the magnetic field
_outside_ the disc.

  It's relatively easy to shape magnetic fields with
appropriately shaped pieces of hi-mu material, but electrical
fields are trickier. I wonder if it would make things "simpler"
to electrostatically shield _all_ the setup (with the exception
of the space between the plates) so that the only time-varying
E-field affecting the search coil is that between the plates.
Yes, I realize that means battery power and some tricky cabling
to the plates, and taking into consideration the added
capacitance and more strongly localized fringing fields, but
eliminating the contribution of the leads to the cap might
clarify things a bit.

   ASCII (fixed-font) attempt follows:

               ___Shield___
  ____________|            |__________