Re: Gap Losses (II) Re: Primary Heating

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" ><paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

> Malcolm wrote:
> > instantaneous Rgap is inversely proportional to Igap

> Dave wrote:
> > Arcs have a negative resistance characteristic:  More current
> > means LESS voltage drop

> I agree with both of you.

	As, at this point, we are saying more or less the same thing:
	good...

> And I'm sure that you'd both agree that the energy lost into the
> gap over a cycle is the integral of V(t) x I(t),

	Sounds like a job for a well insulated computing 'scope...

> and that the Q is then

>  pi * Lpri Ipeak^2/integral{ V(t) * I(t); over the cycle}

> for that cycle at least.  Has anyone used one of those fancy
> digital scopes to measure this?  If so, did the gap energy lost on
> each cycle account for the ringdown envelope, or did you have to
> add in a significant fixed R.

> Are there such things as tables or empirical formulas for gap
> losses - put in a current and the gap dimensions and pull out a
> figure for loss?

	Not that I've seen.  ARCs have been much studied in the
	professional literature.  Might Be Something on sparks
	buried in the olde wireless investigations:  power lost
	in the spark did not make it to the antenna...

	best
	dwp