Ground, etc. (Re: A few Q's)

Tesla list wrote:

><jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

> Hi,
> I am using a ground rod in the yard.

> What I am doing with the cyl head is using it as a junction box per se.
> The leads coming off the secondary, safety gap, NST and Variac I wanted
> to keep short to I connected them all to the cyl head laying on the
> floor a few feet away. Then I will bolt one long lead from the cyl head,
> out to the yard where it will attach to the ground rod.

	I believe some would argue for tying the variac to the power
	line ground.

> I glass beaded (like mild sandblasting) the entire head to it is
> scale/oxidation free but it is dull in appearance.

	Al, in air, is NEVER oxidation free.  It oxidizes
	Immediately.  (The oxide is clear, so it may look
	shiny, and 'clean'.  The Oxide is fragile enough
	so that tightening a screw, etc will disrupt it.
	THAT gets a metal to metal joint, which, if tight,
	excludes the oxygen.  (typically, toughing with
	an ohmmeter probe will break the oxide: which appears to
	conduct...)

> Is this set up ok? Should I put the head on a piece of wood or
> plexi so it is not right on the same floor that I am standing
> perhaps? It is a cement floor and not dirt or wood

	Cement, in a mass (as here?) is a pretty good conductor.
	I expect current is flowing thru the cement...

> so I figured I would be ok.

> One other thing I wanted to ask. My secondary is just sitting there in
> the middle of my primary. Does this need to be attached somehow so it
> wont tip over or is just standing up ok? It does not seem to "tippy" but
> I didn't know if during operation it could get knocked over somehow.

	I'd figure a way to secure it.  Any little thing (air currents,
	etc) could tip it...

	best
	dwp