Re: Power output

Original poster: "Nicholas Field by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nick.field-at-hvfx.co.uk>

Hi Alex

> Maybee a better method might be to measure
> everything that is NOT going into the
> streamers, for a start you could measure gap
> losses calorifically without too much
> dificulty, you cam amke a pretty good
> guestimate of cap losses, a lot to peole have
> meen modelling e-fields so we should be able
> to figure out how much of the energy is being
> radiated. Then measure input power, taking
> into account transformer losses and presumably
> what is left must be useful power out. This
> would be much easier with a coil like thor
> that is heavily instrumented. Althought this
> would be rather laborious it is more practiacl
> than trying to masure output directly.

Not sure who's Thor you are refering to, but my measurements would indicate
an efficiency vastly higher than the 50% figure being bandied about.
Quantifying losses for my Thor, out of the 12800W (15100VA) going in, about
900W is
accounted for by losses I can quantify on the LV and HV side.  Out of the
11900W going into the tank circuit I really have trouble believing 5950W is
being burnt in the spark gap.  The whole thing would be running red hot,
whereas in fact it runs warm to the touch. I would ballpark the efficiency
at 80-85%.

Nick

Nicholas Field
Director,  HVFX