Re: Smoke(d) Filter

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/14/02 11:06:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> How high was the variac set (140VAC?) or is it a resonant system?  It sounds
> like the voltage across the MOVs got too high.
>
> They do have bigger MOVs but they get to be really expensive.
>
> I wonder if I should go to two more MOVs in the strings to give greater
> margin
> for 15kV NSTs...
>
> Cheers
>
>         Terry

Thanks Terry,
         Input readings to transformer farm just prior to smoke were
28.8A-at-121VAC. Found I had not hooked bigger (0.0418 uF) cap in parallel yet, so
C=0.0315 uF (measured) (35KV Maxwell) which I think should have been less than
resonant. I will try 8 DigiKey MOVs per side on the next incarnation, and
recheck resonant size.

Matt D.
G3-1085