Re: Model T First Light

Hi David,

Great to hear the smaller caps are working!

Regarding helix and spiral:
When you run the spiral, check the coupling. When you run the helix, check
the coupling. If you
don't increase the inner diameter of the helix, K is going to climb way up.
You need to adjust
the diameter to get the coupling back down. Once you adjust coupling,
you'll much fewer turns,
but also, you'll see just how wide that helix needs to be (you may not like
it).

The number of turns from spiral to helix is large in your case because the
new cap is now
"really small" and your making up for this in more inductance. The number
of turns between
helix and spiral (not changing coupling via diameter) will is dependent on
frequency and
primary cap size. Once you adjust coupling, you'll have much much fewer
turns (actually, you'll
probalby end up less than a spiral because the helix will need to be quite
wide - try it,
you'll see what I mean).

My preference is a spiral. A spiral will induce the secondary just as well
as a helix as far as
coupling is concerned. Might as well build a simple spiral and keep the
primary as far away
from the spark as possible.

Take care,
Bart

BTW, updated JavaTC to version 9.1 to repair an issue with primary to
secondary height which
John Corture made me aware of (it's good for 4 inch adjustments above and
below the secondary,
but falls off with values beyond this). May need to reload the browser.