Re: spark gaps

Tesla list wrote:

><Megavolt57-at-aol-dot-com>

> Would it be possible for a spark gap to continously arc, instead of
> pulsing?

	Sure.  Then its an arc, can be used to make RF, even run
	a Tesla Coil.  But its a different beast.
	cf the archives, Poulsen Arc, related.

> I realize that this would stop there from being any output.

	Unless primary side redesigned to run with an arc...

> But if the gap was set too close would it still function correctly?

	Depends on the definition of correctly.
	It would not function as a spark gap...

	(roughly, subject to comment:
		Arc:	Plasma remains, current flows continuously.
		Spark:	Plasma 'dies out', restrikes at each
			application of power.)

	best
	dwp