From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2002 4:08 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: 2 transformers?

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

><Beans45601-at-aol-dot-com>

> i have a question, probally a stupid one, say you had 2 15kv nst's.
> If you hooked the first on up like you would normaly, but then took
> the output of the first one and put it as the input of the second one,
>would you get 30kv out?

        Nope.
        It would 'try' to get a huge number of volts out, stepping the
        15 KV up about 150 times.  Wouldn't happen for two reasons:
                Insulation of the second transformer would not
                stand up.
                The output current of the first transformer is
                limited to ??mA, which would be insufficient to drive
                the second transformer.

        Now:
        One CAN get to 30 KV with two transformers:

                Connect inputs in parallel.
                Connect outputs in series.
        IMPORTANT:
                The outputs must be connected in the proper PHASE!
                (if wrong, one ends up with '+'15 adding to '-'15
                and getting zero.)

        Certain care in handling grounds of the secondary is
        necessary....

        Phasing:
        (I'll let the more experienced comment....  I know
        how I do it...)

        best
        dwp