Re: Eithernet Vs. Tesla Coil...

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi Terry / All

>  I wonder if some type of termination connector
> would help protect them?

When RFI rears it's ugly head on data networks, that's when we go fibre
- at least, those with plenty of $$$...

Twisted pair cables get their RFI immunity (ha, ha!) by means of common
mode rejection; however, running a TC is going to be generating just a
bit more RF noise than this can cope with!

Running your Ethernet over coax will give a little more immunity, but
coax networks can be a pain in the derriere - one break or removed
connector and the whole lot goes out.  Been there, done it, wouldn't
want to inflict the experience on anyone else ;-)

Finally I get around to my proposed solution ;-)  All that you need is
to opto-isolate your cables (poor man's fibre).  I don't know whether
there is a commercially available RJ45->RJ45 option available, but I
wouldn't have thought that it would be hard to achieve if you have PCB
making facilities.  You'd need two isolators for every cable going into
the "danger area" - one for the transmit and one for the receive pair.

I'd also recommend using SCREENED CAT 5 cable.

This isn't intended to be an exhaustive discussion on the matter, but I
hope that it is of assistance.

Cheers

Matthew Smith