Re: Eithernet Vs. Tesla Coil...

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

19/03/2002 15:00:43, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Finally I get around to my proposed solution
;-)  All that you need is
>to opto-isolate your cables (poor man's
fibre).  I don't know whether
>there is a commercially available RJ45->RJ45
option available, but I
>wouldn't have thought that it would be hard
to achieve if you have PCB
>making facilities.  You'd need two isolators
for every cable going into
>the "danger area" - one for the transmit and
one for the receive pair.

Opto - Isolators are slow, the fastest one i
could find was good for 40 MBd - you might
manage 10Mb/s over it - i would suggest
rinning through grounded metal conduit for
starters, maybee putting some zener diodes /
diacs across transmit and recieve, grounding
the unused pairs at each end so they will be
hit prefernetially in a direct strike or using
fibre altho they are a bit expensive - two
media converters at £60 ea + fibre -at- 60p/metre

regards

alex