Re: AWG vs. Diameter

Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

> I've never seen any reference to sources of Litz wire, particularly for
> surplus (i.e. cheap!) sources.  Anyone?
>
> Also, if Litz cable is made of numerous small insulated wires, how does one
> solder to an end?  Is the insulation solderable?
>
> Gary Lau
> MA, USA

Hi Gary,

I have several 8# spools of cotton covered Litz wire that I got at a
local surplus dealer at a very reasonable (i.e. cheap) price. Each spool
contains slightly over 2500 feet of Litz wire consisting of 10 strands
of AWG #30. Overall diameter is about equal to AWG #22. It's called
Rupalit and was made for a company called Ramag Inc. Are you looking for
some for a project? If so you can contact me off list.

Soldering Litz wire is a snap! Cut a piece of 1/2" copper tubing about
2" long and squeeze one end closed in a vise. Heat the copper tubing
with a propane torch while melting radio/electronic solder into the
tubing until it is about half full. Keep heating the tubing/solder while
holding the end of the Litz in the solder. In a short time the hot
solder will melt the enamel and solder the ends together in one
operation. This is the method I used to solder the ends of the #6 Litz
wire I used on the primary of my twin 833c tube coil and that wire
contains 892 separate strands!

Ed Wingate RATCB