Re: Variation of secondary Q

Hi Richard,

At 10:55 PM 3/21/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Terry, Paul,
>
>I have been following your experiment with great interest.  First of all, it
>never occurred to me that two people on the opposite sides of the Earth
>could simultaneously conduct such a sophisticated experiment.  This is quite
>a first for this list and shows the real diversity of interests and talent
>on the list.

Paul and I have worked this kind of stuff before on his TSSP list.  We do
pretty well.  He does all the fancy high-powered theory stuff and I have
the fancy high powered equipment to check it.  Of course, if you or anyone
else wants to play too, please do.  There is no reason why only Paul and I
can do this stuff.

>This promises to be a first rate experiment.  Terry is to be
>commended for his excellent knowledge, planning and hands-on ability.  Paul
>exhibits excellent digital signal processing ability and is also commended.

"I" really don't understand much of the high theory stuff.  But I can get
the data for Paul and he can do wonderful things with it.  I do know about
FFTs and all that but I am learning a lot of new tricks from Paul ;-)

>Other than temperature, humidity and other environmental parameters, et
>cetera, are there other variables that should be simultaneously collected
>and analyzed with the F res data?  Solar flux or atmospheric ionization
>maybe?  There are websites and NOAA with this information.  What if all
>these variables aren't correlated with the final data?  What about local
>aether flux?  Paul mentioned the 4th dimension in past posts, I believe.
>This experiment promises to be a great experimental tool.

Fortunately, weather and atmospheric sites collect and archive information
like crazy.  Their web sites keep information on-line from years back.  So
if something is missed you can always go back and get it.  We do have to be
careful to get the time right and the GMT stuff. "Mountain standard time"
plus "daylight savings" is pretty messy for those that are not "here now".
I should change all the clock times to GMT for this experiment.
Unfortunately, my local weather site keeps data in Mountain time :-p  Once
the raw data is captured, anyone should be able to correlate it to the
variables of their choice.  "Aether flux" might be tricky ;-))  If there is
something else "I" need to track let me know.

http://ccc.atmos.colostate.edu/cgi-bin/wx_form.pl

BTW - Check out our temperature and humidity ranges here :-))

http://jack.atmos.colostate.edu/Plots.html

65F to 10F overnight and 10% to 100% humidity changes in two days.  I hope
to get started ASAP before the fun spring weather like this passes.  Have
to watch the lightning strikes!!  They can do enormous damage!!

>Terry, I have used my Pearson CT to measure TC base current with no ill
>effects.  You might give it a shot and compare the data with the 50 ohm
>terminating resistor data.

With the new 100:1 current shunt is should be much better.  My scope has
internal 50 ohm termination that is constantly monitored for power
dissipation and the scope will open it if the power is exceeded.  At least
that's what the manual says :-))  I always use external $1 terminations
from Radio Shack since they cost $500 less to replace ;-))  My present 10:1
CT will push 50 volts across a terminating resistor at 1000 amps!  A 100:1
will have 1/100 that power :-))  You can go unterminated but as Paul's FFT
shows termination does have a big effect especially with long cables.

Glad you are enjoying this thread.  I worry a bit if it gets boring as we
banter about test setups but it does show what goes into these things...
Pulsing the coils and doing the FFT of the base current locks like a
wonderful analysis tool!  I am going to make a nice pulser and add it to my
toy collection :-))  My scope can do the FFTs on the fly itself too, but it
cannot get to the accuracy dedicated analysis programs can.

One fun advantage of lists like this is if I get stuck with a problem, like
downloading info off the scope, there are about 20 people here who know how
to do it to help me out :-))  It is very hard doing all this stuff all alone...

Cheers,

	Terry