Re: Why the TCBOR gap?

Tesla list wrote:

<jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

> Hi all,
> I am just curious to know why so many people use the TCBOR type gap if
> they are reportedly so poor in performance?
> Certainly it cannot be ease of construction as I spent as much or more
> time on that than anything else. Couple that with poor performance and I
> wonder why do so many recommend them? This seemed to be the first and
> only area that all you fellow coilers suggested I eliminate to get
> better sparks/arcs.
> My plan today is to eliminate all but 2 or 3 or my 6 gap set up and see
> what happens. If this is unwise, or a superior modification is popular,
> then by all means do tell :)
> Thanks,
> Jim

	I'm using a TCBOR-like gap, 5 cylinders in a row with small enough
spacing to break down with a 12 kV NST w/o load attached.  Seems to work
fine here!  I have always worried about the cylinders placed around the
inside of a piece of PVC pipe, but that appears to be fine too, at least
as long as a cooling fan is used.

Ed