Re: Instrument questions

Hi Matt,

On 26 Mar 2002, at 18:59, Tesla list wrote:

<Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

> Hi All,
> A couple of questions for instrument gurus who are old enough to remember
> analog. I am upgrading some of my tools from late-19th to mid-20 century. ;-)
>
> 1. I recently got a Protek Model B-803 sweep/function/pulse generator. A
friend
> is trying to sell me / trade his Wavetek 180 sweep/function generator. Would
> there be any advantage to trading or having both, or am I better off just
> staying with what I have?
>
> 2. Is there any relatively easy way to Kludge together a sweep generator
and a
> dual trace analog scope to make a poor man's spectrum analyzer?

I don't have an answer to the first question sorry. I'd tend not to
spend the extra money. Others may differ.

    On the second question, if the sweep generator has a ramp output,
you can feed the ramp to the scope "X" input, the sweep generator
frequency output to the circuit under test, and the scope "Y" input
to the output of the circuit under test. You should end up with an
amplitude response (Y axis) vs frequency (X axis).

Regards,
Malcolm