Re: Instrument questions

Original poster: "Jon Tebbs by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jgtebbs-at-eos-dot-net>

Hi Matt,

On the Poor Man's Spectrum Analyzer, may I direct you to this site:

http://www.science-workshop-dot-com/

I built a variation of this myself about ten years ago, using an old HP 1206
scope for the chassis. I mounted the parts in place of the scope's attenuator
front end and vertical amplifier, preserving the deflection plate driving
stage.
The scope's horizontal time base ramp was used to drive the VCO in the tuner.
With the addition of some ten turn potentiometers, center frequency tuning and
span adjustment became very smooth. Just add a little creative engineering as
you go.

While this Spectrum Analyzer is far from a simple kludge, it can be a very
rewarding piece of gear to add to your shop. I presume your frequency range of
interest would extend well below the 2 Mhz lower limit of Murray Barlowe's
design, though. More useful info and links regarding home brew spectrum
analyzers can be found here:

http://www.nitehawk-dot-com/rasmit/sa50.html

Cheers,
--