Re: Arc Welders as Rheostats?? Variac Mod Question

Original poster: "Jack King by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <speakernut-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Anyone out there have data on how "wide" the air gap
needs to be? My gut says something like .75-1" should
be sufficient to interrupt the flux travel...any
thoughts? I'm toying with "modifying" a 7.8 kva unit
for use as a series reactive ballast, and would like
additional insight before i dig out the band saw.
Also, does one need to replace the removed section
with epoxy or something along those lines to maintain
structural integrity? Lastly, might anyone know off
hand if cores on these older, larger dogs are silicon
steel strip or scintered iron encapsulated in epoxy?

Cheers,

Jack King