Re: VTTC Tubes

Original poster: "Alexander Rice by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <alex-at-rices.myip-dot-org>

29/03/2002 17:53:03, "Tesla list"
<tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

>Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of
Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236
-at-earthlink-dot-net>

>Hi All!
>
>	A stupid question, but I'll ask anyway.
>
>	Has anyone here tried to make their own
high power triodes?  Since real
>transmitting triodes (833a's, etc) are very
expensive, might making
>tubes be a viable option for some?

in a word, NO - vacuum tubes need exactly that
- a very good vacuum - as in a deep space type
vacuum needing many thousands of £££ of vac
pump to do. in addition you would need a glass
lathe to make the envelopes, some neato way of
making the internals including things like
welding tungsten, milling graphite and so on.
That said the first valve was made from a car
headlamp bulb, so if you ere interested it
would not really be all that difficult to make
a valve - just not a high power one that you
could run in a tesla coil scenario - if you
dont fancy the cost of vtttc's then a)
scrounge - you can get tubes that will make
some sort of discharge very cheply, or you can
pull them out of old equipment b) stick to
spark gaps

regards

alex