pretty good vttc tube

Original poster: "marc metlicka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Hello All that may want to start a vttc project,

 I wanted to tell of a pretty good vttc tube for the beginners.
It is a VT-127A triode that i got from a vender in arizona. The vendor
was just commented on a week or so ago by a list member, and maybe the
list member that recommended them will post the name and address again?
(i lost it)
They said that they had quite a few of them on hand, the cost to me was
$7.00 each before shipping.

http://hereford.ampr-dot-org/cgi-bin/tube?tube=VT-127A

 These tubes are nice for beginners (as i was am at this time) because
the two filament electrodes are on the bottom, the grid electrodes are
sticking out the sides and are doubled up so there is two grid
electrodes for the one grid. These exit the side of the oddly
cylindrical tube opposite each other, the plate electrodes are above the
grid electrodes and are sticking out the sides exactly the same way.
The reason these are nice is that it makes connecting leads very easy
without confusion and they can even be tried with alligator clip
"cheaters" to get them running (i know because that's how i do it).
 The filament uses 5v-at-10amp, the maximum plate is 3000v (good for mot's
in plate tranny), power out is around 400w per tube. +
I used two of these and i used david trimmels mot vttc design "to the
letter" meaning i matched cap specs, resistor specs and primary turns,
grid turns, ect. ect.. The only thing different was that i used one of
my "test" secondary.
 It gave nice 4" output the TIME OUT!?, with some tuning and "dinging"
around i managed 6"-7" discharge (it even impressed my girlfriend! a
real hard feat, but she likes to hold a neon tube and have it light) The
whole thing is a very inexpensive and fun\fun\fun project to build. It
can be seen at:
http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id41.htm
http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id41.htm
I will post the name and address of the outfit that sold me these tubes
as soon as i can find them?

 I know they are in arizona, they sell on ebay, it was a family outfit
and i talked to the wife in the correspondences, I was told that they
had more VT-127A's if i wanted some and were very, very friendly.
I would actually like to get like 6 more of these tubes, then build them
into a nice circular array around the coil. It would be a very powerful,
And a very beautiful coil system. I see why people like tube coils! not
only are they unique, but the warm "glow" of the tubes plate and the
bright filament shinning, , very addictive!
Well this post got a tad longer then expected, but i really do like the
ease of starting with this tube! So i had to say something for the
beginner Vttc's like myself.
Take care,
Marc M.
Geek #1055