Re: Cap Question

Original poster: "Sean Taylor by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <taylorss-at-rose-hulman.edu>

A good source for MMC caps - The Geek Group - http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org
The site is a little "dismantled" right now, but you can email and get some
caps.  0.15 uF at 2400 VDC, I believe for $3.00 each (I think).  Someone
correct me if I'm wrong, please!
These caps are almost indestructible . . . they can be overvolted by a
factor of 3 or 4, and heal, and continue to work fine.  From what I've
heard, oil filled and doorknob caps arent the greatest for coiling - You
need a low loss dielectric, like polyethylene or polypropylene. Homemade
caps are a decent amount of work, but not too expensive.  I have made a few,
but I'm going with an MMC next . . . much lighter and more portable.

Sean Taylor
The Geek Group
G-2 #1204
Because the geek shall inherit the Earth! (c)
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org