Re: galvinizing paint

There are some regulatory issues surrounding zinc loaded paint, so it might
not be available at just any store in any state.  I seem to recall (from 5
years ago) some problems getting galvanizing paint in California as a
retail item.. we had to special order it from a "business customers only"
outlet (much like trying to buy potentially hazardous chemicals over the
counter...). In my fuzzy recollection, I think it had to do with the
carrier or solvent (toluene?), not the zinc, per se.

Tradional Zinc Chromate based primers & paints (popular for aluminum, e.g.)
are also hard to get a hold of because of the Chromate ion hazardous waste
issues.

Techspray produces a Zinc Rich Primer, claimed to be a cold galvanizing
product, called ZnKote Galvanizer, #3205 Aerosol. The MSDS just lists
flammability as a problem (they use xylene), and it's not going to wind up
making your place a superfund site...

It would appear from a casual web search that most paint companies have
some form of cold galvanizing spray available that's not hideously toxic...

<rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>